Monday, February 21, 2011

Great Weekend!

Ahhh....back to baseball tournaments!  Our second to the oldest is our sports guy and so this past weekend took us back out to the ballpark after a short winter break.  Weather was beautiful...aside from the CRAZY wind.  He played well, and it was nice to have family time supporting him and his team.  My youngest son.... (I will call him "B" going forward so that you are able to distinguish him as the one this blog is centered around) seemed to enjoy this back to routine weekend as well...thankful. 

Saturday was also my birthday and while normal is a good thing, getting older (and technology) has sure taken some of the joy out of birthdays!  Getting texts from family is honestly okay, but when there is no actual voice saying "I love you, how was your day"...... kind of sad.   My 10 year old daughter went through our yard and picked a sweet little arrangements of flowers....loved that, and we took the kids to Saltgrass Steakhouse so that I could have some tortilla soup.... they really have yummy tortilla soup!  All in all, a nice birthday that went under the radar for the most part!  If only that year of aging on my face went under the radar too......   :)

I kind of had a revelation of sorts in my moments of quiet thought this weekend.  I realize that while people can be touched, moved, saddened or angered by our story or any other issue that they hear or read about that is unjust and unfair, everyone is busy just trying to make it in their own little world.  For many, finding the time to even click the link and start to read is just not going to happen.  As a mother of 5, I can totally relate to being too busy but my moment of clarity was thisThat is exactly the reason that change doesn't happen.  Someone can care about your story, but unless they or one of their children are going through the very same thing, there is no extra time to focus on it, even if they really wish they could.

My prayer is that the candid words shared on this blog will touch someone....urge someone.....pull on them to move toward change.  If you have children of your own in this age range, if you have children that will be coming into this age range, this topic is so important.  Change for everyone can be different.  For one it could simply be asking their child each day how their day was and making sure to listen to what their child says.  For another it could mean learning what their district discipline policies are so that they are aware of just how important this topic is.  And for yet another, it could mean realizing that it is their child that is the bully and taking steps to address it.  As we live through this ordeal...helping my son, I pray God will provide me with a bigger platform for advocacy for children in this area, but I also pray that this blog will encourage others to focus on this issue.

Last night, "B" prayed over our meal before dinner....in one part, he simply asked God to let them all have a great day at school.  I hope this is a blessing filled day for him - God is Good.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment