Thursday, February 17, 2011

So, last night on the way to church my son (not knowing I had started this blog journal) said to me "I want to do something to help".  He said that he knows there are kids everywhere that have had or are having the same kinds of things happen to them and maybe they can't talk like he can now, or don't feel like they have the support.  He said.... "I mean, I think I can help".  WOW!  I then shared with him how just that day, I had started a page on the internet and that maybe he could have his own.  I think when we have our eyes open...really open, it's SO easy to see all the places God tucks himself into.  Weaving together moment by moment and how when we really think WE have come up with great ideas, he's gently tapping us on the shoulder as if to say "ummm....I think I had a little something to do with that".   I agree - thank you father.

To illustrate the point, as days go by, I will be sharing with you what I call blessings from the bad stuff.  As I travel across Texas hosting training workshops for childcare providers / early childhood educators, I share my son's story.  One of our training topics this year is Bullying.  We talk about how important it is that children have strong boundaries and structure set in place to help them grow and learn how to socialize with one another, and how having parents and educators on the same page when children are young really has the power to influence their social interactions long term.  By working together to set boundaries, mediate during play and also build up a child's self esteem, we can actually reduce the risk of some level of bullying.  But if we don't, children grow older and the type of bullying my son endured becomes a real risk for kids in school. 


Blessing from the Bad Stuff:

So, a few weeks ago in Austin, I held a training workshop with about 40 in attendance.  In childcare, men are far outnumbered by women and if they do work in the field, they are often the owner of the facility, acting as a director or they provide care for after-schoolers.  There are a few that teach, just not near as many as women.  This particular day there was a man in attendance.  He looked fairly young....mid 20's maybe and while he payed attention and seemed interested through much of the training, as I got closer to the end of our time (when I talk about bullying)  I remember thinking to myself  "you can totally tell this guy is watching the clock and ready to go".  Shortly after, I finished speaking and most everyone raced to the parking lot.  Of the few that stayed behind to talk, this man was one of them.  He patiently waited until everyone left to tell me that he wanted me to tell my son to just hang in there, that it WILL get better.  He shared with me the things that had happened to him (JUST AS HORRIBLE) and how when he got to high school, it got better.  I was so thankful for his words of encouragement and as he walked out of the room several things occurred to me.....

1. My son's story was able to give this man the courage to share his own.
2. His story would surely give my son hope and make him feel like people really care.
3. This man, could have grown up to HATE children because of the things that happened to him but instead, he has a heart for them and works as a teacher in an early childhood school setting.

3 great examples of how God can use the bad stuff for good.........and I could have missed it.  Had I been in too big of a hurry to pack up and run off, or just too busy to really listen.  It is very exciting to know that with all the bad / ugly / nasty things that happen in this world, that while God can't protect us from them in the way we would prefer...you know, like NOT let it happen...... Even still, he's got us covered.  Now, that's a blessing! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like your son may have a future in the therapy field - he shows empathy for others in spite of what happened to him. He wants to share and support others going through this. Maybe he will grow up to be a therapist!

    It is a real problem and getting worse! Not too long ago an elementary student in a town next to ours hung himself in the nurses bathroom! How can a young person be so defeated that he felt the only escape was death? I will be sure to send out your blog to everyone I know - most of my clients are school teachers that range from working at the elementary to high school levels. We all need to open our eyes and not be afraid to speak up!

    Looking forward to your next blog :)

    Cindy Hicks/Carrollton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy...I will share that SAD part of our story sometime too... we are a faith filled family and my son shared with me that he "thought for a few seconds" about killing himself because he knew it would just be OVER, but then said he could never do that. It's so serious and so many adults don't take it serious enough! Thanks for following along on our journey!

    ReplyDelete